Do you think manual transmissions will ever become obsolete?

Do you think manuals will ever di

• Yes

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • No

Votes: 34 69.4%

• Total voters
MrElussive said:
New cars don't have starting issues and you need a downhill closeby in order to do that. SMG can upshift from 1st to 3rd, just tap the upshift stalk twice quickly and it will do it. Checkout the history of this thread, if you haven't....it is definitely good reading (long but good).
dude, now you are missing my point (or just don't want to acknowlage that you are wrong). BTW, you don't need downhill although it's helpfull, you just need to push the car (yes use your muscles). What are we talking about here anyway - most of Europe still drives the stick, you lazy @sses! The bottom line here - I LIKE TO EXERCISE MY LEFT LEG WHILE I'M DRIVING, so lets stop it right here!

bmw555 said:
dude, now you are missing my point (or just don't want to acknowlage that you are wrong). BTW, you don't need downhill although it's helpfull, you just need to push the car (yes use your muscles). What are we talking about here anyway - most of Europe still drives the stick, you lazy @sses! The bottom line here - I LIKE TO EXERCISE MY LEFT LEG WHILE I'M DRIVING, so lets stop it right here!
No dude, I do get your point. I get your point every day because my car is a 3-pedal manual just like yours. I am just very optimistic about the benefits of SMG. I drove an M3 Convertible w/SMG once and it was great....I just wish it wasn't in the break-in period because I really wanted to whip the shit out of it.

BMW555, do go back and read through the thread. bunch of us got on the tread and i remember the discussion being pretty good. (along with SMG bashing, name calling, facts about decline in manual sales, both in the states and in europe, etc) i think the "un-lazy" euro point was in there somewhere too.. iirc.. but hey, doesn't the French only work 35 hrs a week? vs way over worked Americans..

and while i agree w/ the laziness of not wanting to use the clutch lame, when yer stuck in traffic for a while, it's not a matter of laziness, but rather of annoyance.

btw, when you have a motor breath, does it smell like stinky exhaust in the morning?

Average Jae said:
BMW555, do go back and read through the thread. bunch of us got on the tread and i remember the discussion being pretty good. (along with SMG bashing, name calling, facts about decline in manual sales, both in the states and in europe, etc) i think the "un-lazy" euro point was in there somewhere too.. iirc.. but hey, doesn't the French only work 35 hrs a week? vs way over worked Americans..

and while i agree w/ the laziness of not wanting to use the clutch lame, when yer stuck in traffic for a while, it's not a matter of laziness, but rather of annoyance.

btw, when you have a motor breath, does it smell like stinky exhaust in the morning?
hey, it's a free country and everybody drives what he/she wants, I have no problem with other people driving auto or SMG, I'm just expressing my preferences. Manual is fun to drive, but if you are a taxi driver (delivery guy, etc) and spend your whole day behind the steering wheel the last thing you want is a manual transmission. Everybode choses what he likes, my point is that manuals will always be around because they are fun to drive, there always will be people wanting this type of transmission in the car.